Klaus arrives with an old friend Stefan Salvatore, offering his help after a very intense phone conversation with Caroline. Klaus assures Stefan that he can help him with the Huntress Rayna Cruz. Soon after his arrival and Stefan learns the Mikaelson’s have had their share of problems. Davina has a plan with the sisterhood that will make Elijah and Klaus vulnerable while their foes can torture their mind. As this takes place Freya, Marcel, Hayley and Stefan try to save them. This episode picks up where The Vampire Diaries leaves off during a 2hr crossover event.
What you need to know:
- Klaus is determined to keep Stefan safe and help him for Caroline’s sake. He shares his thoughts on Stefan and Caroline’s relationship urging Stefan to let her go if he cannot put her first.
- As they arrive, Freya and Elijah warn him of a plan the sisterhood has that could also be a trap. As they try to figure out this prophecy once and for all. Marcel is still at odds with his loyalty to The Mikaelsons and his love for Davina.
- Davina is helping The Strix along with the sisterhood in enacting the plan, but Davina has a secret of her own. As she is trying to free Kol Mikaelson from the ancestral plane.
- Klaus and Elijah spend most of their time in this mental prison, as Tristan and Aurora can break down Klaus and Elijah emotionally as Freya races to save her brothers.
- Meanwhile, Aya and Davina look to break the sire lines, and Hayley and Stefan plan to stop them.
- Rayna Cruz is the perfect distraction for the Hayley and Stefan to fight as Aya and her crew try to take down Rayna. During the fight the last witch standing is Davina, as Marcel urges her to stop, she continues and he apologizes as he fights along with Hayley and Stefan.
- Freya frees her brothers and Elijah comes out fighting, Davina continues her tortures on Klaus as the hybrid feels his sires leave him. Leaving Klaus drained and broken.
- Tristan and Aurora say goodbye as he remains in his watery grave, and Klaus traps her for eternity, in the cemetery.
On to the Klaroline in this episode:
Klaus loves Caroline and with The Originals establishing that on the show is a huge deal. First we have Stefan and Hayley share a conversation in the truck. Revealing that Hayley is fighting for Klaus because of Hope and it shows that Stefan is fighting for his loved ones, including Caroline. As her picture is shown to the viewers, Hayley establishes the already known history of the two from TVD. Yes, Klaus had a thing for Caroline. However, what makes this stand out is the fact that Stefan knows that may not be true. As he and Klaus has discussed Caroline recently. What the writers establish is that Caroline was once at this point of the episode, someone that Klaus had strong feelings for. Heading into the last minutes of the episode. Klaus wants to make sure Stefan will understand and do right by Caroline. It plays out as Stefan realizes that Klaus will not stop until he can reassure the hybrid of that promise. He takes a breath and tells Klaus he loves her, and he knows Klaus loved her. What Klaus reveals in his answer tells Stefan everything he needs to know. As Klaus looks down, takes a breath and says ‘Thank you’. Stefan now knows that Klaus is still in love with Caroline, so he throws it back to the hybrid. Explaining that Hayley risked her life too, and Klaus will need to do right by her. Now for me, this is in no way romantic for Klaus and Hayley but just reinforces the fact that Jackson has preached earlier this season. Hayley has been risking her life for The Mikealsons, and one day Klaus may have to let Hayley and Hope go. If it comes to it. However, one thing is sure in this scene. Klaus still loves Caroline; she is his beloved, and that is something that no current, past or future love/crush will be able to take away from him.
I do not think the Hayley/Stefan scene is a burn, only because it establishes Caroline for the audience. Hayley does not know about Klaus and Caroline’s full relationship because she left Mystic Falls after the hybrid slaughter then appears later. In that conversation, she knows that Klaus has not succeeded in winning Caroline’s affections and baited him with it, as he does with her and Tyler at the time. So she is truthful in her delivery.
TVD throws us an egg with Caroline arriving in New Orleans 3 years later, this plays well with the setup of the whole episode. Because we establish Klaus and Caroline’s history, then Klaus reveals his current feelings. While we see Caroline coming in the future, so the audience will know who she is and what she once/currently means to Klaus. Amazing, right?