Joining a new fandom can be an overwhelming experience – there are so many fanfics to read, so many ‘much watch videos’, bloggers and Twitter users who you need to get on first name basis with and then there’s all the graphics and gifs you need to reblog, it sometimes seems like much more trouble than it’s worth. But don’t worry little one, Aunty Caryn is here to help you navigate through this large and crazy fandom.
How do I meet other Klaroliners?
The most life-changing aspects of fandom life is the people, the friendships that grow, the ones that influence you, the talent that is housed, and you are only living a half life in the fandom if you aren’t getting to know your other klaroliners. I’m even going to be a bridesmaid in a friend I met two years ago in the Klaroline fandom that lives on the opposite side of the world, so don’t underestimate the power of fandom friendships. But I admit, it’s difficult to get into the swing of things, especially if you’re shy like me, so here’s some tips to meet other like-minded folks:
- The two most popular things to do is to join Tumblr and Twitter. Prettify your blog and Twitter account as you want.
- Make sure to follow the Mag on Tumblr and Twitter, and this a way you can find other Klaroliners and follow them too. (Make sure to check out our Blogger and Twitter interviews and Blog of the Week in order to find more amazing klaroliners)
- If Tumblr and Twitter aren’t enough, there are also fandoms to be found on Facebook, Fanpop, Pinterest, Instagram, TVDWiki, and various other forums.
- You will also meet many other shippers in the klaroline tags on Tumblr and Twitter, simply search for ‘#klaroline’ on both platforms, and don’t forget to hashtag your own posts with that so others can find you.
- Very few friendships are made randomly, the problem with the internet is that’s not like your local country club where you can just bump into someone or happened to be sitting next to them, you have to actively pursue the friendships. A lot of my close friends I met in Klaroline chat groups but others still I met because they messaged me on Tumblr. Chatting to someone that you don’t know via Tumblr or Twitter is daunting but it’s a step you need to make and remember if they are mean or condescending to you, they are not worth your time, you are better off not being their friend. And always be on the lookout for people looking for new members to join their klaroline chat groups.
There are so many Klaroline fanfics, how do I know where to start?
This is a problem I am common with, getting a fanfic to read in that moment when you itching for some Klaroline goodness. Here are some ways to search for what you are looking for:
- There is the fanfiction section of the Klaroline Magazine which has lists according to genre, reviews, authors interviews, drabble of the week, etc which gives you an array of different types of fanfics to choose from.
- The folks over at Klaroline Fanfiction have an amazing organized blog that is dedicated to providing you with a range of different fanfics that are divided by genre and they are always willing to help out if you have any questions.
- Another good idea is if you enjoy a fanfic, go to the author’s page and see what fanfics they favorited or alternately message them on Tumblr or Twitter and ask them for their recs.
How do I find pretty graphics and gifs to reblog or simply just to stare at?
Sometimes we have those moments when we just want to stare at Klaroline in many different beautiful ways.
- A lot of new graphics and gifsets can be found on the kcedits tag on Tumblr
- Blogs that post work done by Klaroliners that update regularly – klarolinesource, klarogifs, klarolinedaily, likemypulse, yearoracentury, klarolinedirectory
- If you, like me, are addicted to Pinterest, you can find great graphics to repin here
- Deviantart has a great variety of artwork by an array of artist that you can browse through for hours
Where do I find Klaroline videos that I can cry to until the early hours of the morning?
- Not to toot our own horn but the Magazine does wonderful features about a large variety of videos and video makers
- Or you can search through the klaroline tag on youtube
So, if ever, you feel lost, or in need for some welcoming or a friendly chat, majority of the klaroliners would be all to happy to introduce you to the fun-running that happens in this awesome fandom, so don’t be shy, and send that message.
Enjoyed this article? Check out similar articles:
- Word of the Week: ‘finger’
- Fandom News: The Klaroline Magazine has been nominated for a Shorty Award
- Word of the Week: ‘endgame’